Friday, October 15, 2010

Usability Engineering – You are not your user!

Recently I read several interesting articles on usability engineering. I was wondering how haplessly I have coded and I am coding few web applications when it comes to usability/user engineering. I need to often remind myself that “I am not my user”.

I have built a few apps so far. During the design/development process, I am constantly worried about adding more functional features to it (according to the requirements of the clients!) rather than envisioning a sound usability model. At times I forget the fact that client is not the user and the intended user may not be happy with the features my client is very happy about.

Usability aspects have always been an afterthought to many app builders and I am no exception to this. I know my product inside out. Right from the inception stage I watch and control the growth of the application. In my application, I use every single form, visit every single link and work with all its functional parts. Since I can see the application grow and prosper through its entire life cycle, my wishes are imprinted or forced upon the it unknowingly.

This blind phenomenon results in poor usability. We tend to thrust the user with functionalities he never asked for. A specific feature that I think is very essential to my app might irritate its user.

The most important thing is to understand the users and their needs. In the urge to fulfill the requirements of the clients and stakeholders, we ignore the usability aspects of a product. You’re not your user. Remember it. Improve the usability!

No comments: